Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Altec 291-16K drivers need diaphragms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Altec 291-16K drivers need diaphragms

    Gotta stay away from the bay. Saw a set of 291-16K drivers that need new diaphragms for a BIN price of 125 bucks that are local. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them yet but hey, it's only 125 bucks, right?
    So I bought them with almost no research, what is the scoop on them. And does anyone have some good used diaphragms?
    Thanks

    BillWojo

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16K drivers need diaphragms

    Personally I would get some new aluminum ones from GPA. In fact that is what I am doing with my 291-16c drivers. If you are interested in the stock symbiotik phragms shoot me an PM. They would work well if you plan on running a super tweet. I am going to run my 291c with no super tweeter so I need a little more HF extension

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16K drivers need diaphragms

    Picked them up today on the way home from a job. The diaphragms had been removed already, was hoping that they could be repaired. Oh well. They are big and heavy, have the rubber rings on the magnets and the nice aluminum rear covers. Overall in very good condition with no corrosion.
    My younger friend that got me into Altecs (met him on AK, lives 2 towns over) has a set of large fiberglass EV horns for the 1.4 inch drivers. I'd like to get these up and running and lend them to him. He needs something to play with as he is out of commission for a bit recovering from an illness and always talks about finding some large format drivers to get the EV's up and running. I think he could do well with these between his Altec 14's and the big JBL bass speaker cabinets. He has some JBL crossovers and I have a 2 way active Rane crossover, between all of that it should be tweak able.
    I can't wait to hear them myself but I know that he will have a blast setting them up and dialing them in.

    BillWojo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.